Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

New Discovered Documents







Dear Fellow Barn Project Members,

Today while I was at the special collections Bob Parson told me that he had come across some Art Barn documents that I might find interesting. I looked through several folders and discovered quite a few documents of interest. It seems that when the Art Department shifted to the new Art building there were quite a few departments debating and asking for the space.

There were several letters and proposed architectural drawings which were created by the departments as a proposal for the space. I made a few copies of some interesting documents for my own use and thought that you might find them interesting as well. One of which was from Thad Box (I was able to interview him recently and thought this added some context to it) about the use of the Barn by his College, another from the Art Department still wishing to use the kilns and space, and was a floor layout of the first two floors being used by different departments (unfortunately the third floor drawing is not in the collection).

One thing which I could not copy due to size but which I thought was interesting were two architectural drawing (fairly large size) of a proposed Music Hall from 1952. Apparently the university was proposing, planning, or toying with the idea of transforming the Horse Barn into a Music Hall and musical instruction facility. From the date it is possible that this idea formulated well before the university even thought of the Art Barn.

Jason Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment